Toxins are everywhere, even in our homes. The best way to prevent them from affecting your life is to arm yourself with information. Make sure to read the ingredients on every product you use. Here are some common toxins (none of which are found in Rockin’ Green’s cleaning products!) to look out for and avoid as best you can.
1. Phthalates – These are used in most products with a fragrance. Most companies don’t have to disclose how their fragrances are made, so if you see “fragrance” on the ingredients, phthalates were used. They impact your endocrine and reproductive systems.
2. Ammonia – This is a common ingredient in common cleaners because it evaporates quickly and doesn’t leave streaks. It’s a powerful irritant that affects your respiratory system and organs. It’s especially dangerous to people with breathing problems.
3. Chlorine – This is found in bathroom cleaners, laundry whiteners, and mildew removers. It’s in the fumes of products and even your household water. It affects your respiratory system and thought to be a thyroid disrupter.
4. Bisphenol A (BPA) – This is used in the product of hard plastic products to make them malleable during manufacturing; everything from plastic casing to baby products. They can cause disruptions to the endocrine system, especially in developing children.
5. Carbon monoxide – This is an odorless gas that forms from the incomplete combustion of fuel (gas floating around your house from your stove or oven). When inhaled, it disrupts the oxygen bonding to your blood, so your body gets less.
6. Lead – This is a heavy metal that builds up in our cells over time and causes an array of health issues. It’s not quite as common as it used to be, but it’s very deadly so it’s worth mentioning. It causes hormonal imbalances, neurological dysfunction, developmental problems in children, and of course, cancer.
7. Pesticides/herbicides – These are found in/on pretty much any fruit or vegetable that isn’t grown to an organic standard, as well as in your lawn if you don’t use organic landscaping methods. They are risk factors for cancer and cause reproductive and developmental problems.
8. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) – This is a category of chemicals (that includes formaldehyde) that are released into the air as gases from everyday products. They’re found in hair spray, air fresheners, paints, cleaning products, furniture, and carpeting. They are linked to various types of cancer and cause neurological, reproductive, and developmental problems.
9. Triclosan – This is an antibacterial agent used in a lot of products, including hand soap, dishwasher soap and beauty products. It’s disrupts the thyroid and is linked to cancer.
10. Radon – This chemical is often found in basements and garages. It’s an odorless gas that comes from industrial products. It causes numerous lung issues.
Written by Kim Webb, CEO and Founder of Rockin’ Green Soap
Finally it’s cool to be GREEN! Rockin’ Green is made for families that care about taking care of themselves and the Earth. As a mom Kim was fed up with the empty promises of “green” cleaning products that were not delivering what they promised… So she invented Rockin’ Green! We can all do our part for the environment while doing something good for ourselves. All of our organic cleaning products are biodegradable, and gluten and vegan friendly. They don’t contain phosphates, SLS, Parabens, or optical brighteners. All of our packaging is made from recycled materials.
Visit www.rockingreensoap.com for more information.
Interested in writing a guest blog for Rockin’ Green? Send your topic idea to email@example.com.
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Rockin’ Green makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, current-ness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.