Most people pump their water out of the ground through a personal well. As the water travels through soil and rock, it picks up minerals (like calcium and magnesium). Even if you’re on city/town water, that water still mixed with rock at one point.
Water with lots of minerals is considered “hard water.”
How can you tell if you have hard water? You may notice…
- A film on your bathtub or shower tiles. It can cause dry hair and skin.
- Higher water heating costs. When minerals in the water become warm, they create salt, which is an insulator, requiring more heat to warm the same water.
- No suds! Minerals reduce the lather-ness of your soap as well as its effectiveness.
- Clogged appliances. The minerals can build up and create a blockage.
- Your clothes come out of the wash stiff and scratchy.
How does hard water affect laundry?
Hard water makes your detergent less effective. In order to get the same effectiveness, you have to add a lot more detergent. If you have hard water and only use the standard amount of detergent, you’ll notice a general dinginess that builds over time. This is because the soil and dirt isn’t being removed from your clothes well enough.
In terms of your laundry, you only have two possible solutions:
- Install a water softener. This hooks into your home’s water piping and filters the minerals out before they get to your sinks and showers. This can be expensive and for many people, not possible.
- Use a detergent that’s specifically designed to work in hard water.
Check out our infographic below to get all the facts on hard water.
Written by Kim Webb, CEO and Founder of Rockin’ Green Soap
Finally it’s cool to be GREEN! Rockin’ Green is made for families that care about taking care of themselves and the Earth. As a mom Kim was fed up with the empty promises of “green” cleaning products that were not delivering what they promised… So she invented Rockin’ Green! We can all do our part for the environment while doing something good for ourselves. All of our organic cleaning products are biodegradable, and gluten and vegan friendly. They don’t contain phosphates, SLS, Parabens, or optical brighteners. All of our packaging is made from recycled materials.
Visit www.rockingreensoap.com for more information.
Interested in writing a guest blog for Rockin’ Green? Send your topic idea to email@example.com.
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Rockin’ Green makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, current-ness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.