No matter the size of your home, you probably wish you had just a little more space. Families tend to outgrow the spaces they live after a few years. A tidy home without clutter is not only easy to keep clean, but you’ll find it reduces your stress levels and makes everyone feel less tense. Here are some ways you can create space in any room.
1. To maximize space and make everything easier to find, place clothes in your dresser drawers vertically. This trick only works if the drawer is nearly full.
2. Add a second bar to the closets of children. Children’s clothes are usually shorter than adult clothing, so you can hang two rows of items. This might make it possible to remove a dresser from your child’s room entirely.
3. When you purchase a bookshelf or other shelving, pick something that goes right up to the ceiling. The space above would be wasted anyway.
4. Add shelves in nontraditional places. You don’t need a full bookshelf. Add single shelves wherever you feel appropriate, like over the toilet, above doorways, or down hallways.
5. If you find yourself shuffling and rearranging items you just don’t wear, donate them to someone who could use them, Good Will, the Salvation Army, or your local church/charity.
6. Purchase bed raisers to give your bed a few more inches. This will let you store larger containers beneath the bed, like laundry baskets and plastic tubs that might otherwise clutter your room.
7. Save space in your pantry by removing food from their packaging and storing in identical containers. This will fill in the space between items that would normally be wasted by different types of boxes and packages. (Don’t forget to label the containers.)
8. You can create some floor space in a TV room by hanging the television on the wall or mount with an arm. TVs are light enough these days that they can be suspended anywhere with an inexpensive mount. Install a small shelf nearby for your cable box, DVD player, etc.
9. Purchase a rollaway surface for workspaces like your garage or kitchen. This will give you a place to store cooking implements or tools and give you mobile counter space. Tuck the cart in the corner when you’re not using it.
10. If you like to buy in bulk, store the stock in an out-of-the-way place like your garage. You can always refill your preferred spot when you need another roll of paper towels or box of pasta.
11. Pack away what you don’t need right now. Do you need that parka hanging in the front of your closet through the summer months? It might be best in a box in the attic until it’s needed.
12. Angle your furniture depending on your needs. In most cases, a kitty-corner sofa eliminates usable space in the room. However, the corner space can be used for storage if you need some items out the way. Also, you could position your ottoman away from the sofa for additional seating.
13. Create zones in your house for separate activities using subtle demarcations. This will help each room feel larger and give focus to each area.
14. You can make a cramped room feel larger by attaching a mirror to one wall. This will create the illusion of space that could make it “easier to breath” in a tight room.
If you're dealing with a small laundry room specifically, check out Rockin' Green's 7 organization ideas to upgrade any laundry room.
Guest Blog By Lisa Paul Heydet of ZizzyBee Bags
At ZizzyBee, we believe children bring fun and whimsy to our lives…along with the need for organization of hundreds of teeny, tiny little toy parts. And like most moms, we believe it is important to keep organized while using products for our children that are safe, washable, well designed, and practical. With this in mind, full-time single mom and entrepreneur Lisa Paul Heydet, saw a need and created ZizzyBee Bags.™
ZizzyBee Bags eliminate the need for baskets and bins and makes toys portable and travel a snap. The attractive see-through, reusable storage bags look good hanging from a hook or stacked in a diaper bag or suitcase. Keep children’s rooms organized by storing toys and clothes in ZizzyBee Bags. With two different sizes to choose from, you can use ZizzyBee Bags to keep items organized in desks, closets and more. They are easily packable and transportable for vacations, gym and work, road trips, school, grandparent’s house, playdates, strollers and so much more.
Interested in writing a guest blog for Rockin’ Green? Send your topic idea to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Rockin’ Green makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, current-ness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.