Exercising is awesome. It’s exhilarating. It’s good for you. It releases endorphins. But let’s face it — workout wear takes a serious beating, especially in the sweatiest and hottest months of summer. And they begin to smell funky, like seriously funky, even after washing. Keep your workout game strong and gear working hard by cleaning those running shorts and sports bras the right way.
- Tend to them as soon as possible, rather than tossing them in a bag or worse, a hamper to spread the smelliness.
- Turn your workout clothes inside out. Most of the sweaty residues and foul-smelling bacteria are inside the clothes, not outside.
- Pre-soak the clothes. The DIY way — mix cold water with half a cup of white vinegar and soak for 15-30 minutes. Try adding a cup of baking soda to the homemade pre-soak, or even the washing machine during the actual wash cycle. An even easier way? Use Rockin’ Green Funk Rock Pre-soak — a biodegradable laundry pre-treatment that is gentle and all-natural!
- Skip fabric softeners. It may seem logical to combat odor with a fresh-smelling scent, but what sweaty clothes really need is simplicity in detergents that are free of fragrance or dyes. Adding extras like softener,can clog the fabrics, meaning the smells are going nowhere fast.
- Use less detergent than you normally would. It seems odd when your workout clothes need deep cleaning, but many athletic fabrics are built to repel water. Adding too much soap won’t allow water to properly penetrate and clean those fabrics, and they won’t rinse as clean, either.
- Wash clothes in cold water. Hot water is damaging to fabrics and actually breaks them down over time. (For an even cleaner clean specifically for athletic wear, reach for Rockin’ Green Athletic Wear Detergent — a biodegradable laundry detergent powder.)
- Air dry! It is a bit time consuming, but just as hot water can break down the fabrics, so can intense heat from the dryer.
It’s that simple. Keep your workout gear in tip-top shape, too and enjoy those endorphins!