It’s allergy season again and the pollen is everywhere! Living with allergies can be a nightmare so let’s look at ways to fight your family’s allergies the green way.
The best place to start in fighting allergens is with prevention. The less dust, pollen, and mold you have to clean up the better!
- Start by keeping your humidity under 50% and your temperature between 68-72F. This will help reduce dust mites and mold.
- Be sure to use a high quality air filter in your HVAC and portable AC systems. In room HEPA filters can also help. Clean and replace the filters regularly.
- Remove any excess clutter from your living spaces. It collects dust, pollen, and spores. A clean space is easier to maintain.
- Deal with any potential pest problems. Seal any openings in your home and set traps to remove insects and rodents. Call a professional exterminator if necessary.
- Smoking is terrible for setting off allergies and sticks to everything in your home. Don’t smoke inside your living space. Ever.
- Try to keep shoes and outerwear outside or near the doors to minimize tracking pollen and dust throughout the house. Clean these areas thoroughly weekly.
A good strategy for cleaning inside is to start from the ceiling and work your way down. This way you are able to vacuum up anything that falls to the floor.
- Start with ceiling fans and light fixtures. They may be up high but they love to collect dust.
- Next, dust the blinds and wash the curtains.
- Wipe down any hard surfaced furniture and vacuum soft furniture like sofas and chairs.
- Finally, vacuum carpets and rugs and sweep and mop any hard surfaces. It’s best to vacuum every couple of days to stay on top of the dust particles.
- Mold and mildew are your primary enemies in bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry areas. Use a cleaner made from three parts water to one part bleach or another environmentally friendly cleaner. Check your fixtures regularly to watch for signs of leaks or any buildup of mildew or mold that signals you have a problem.
Keeping up with your laundry is going to be your key defense.
- Wash your sheets, pillowcases, and blankets at least once a week in hot water to kill dust mites.
- Wash your bath mats, rugs, and shower curtains regularly as well.
- Use Rockin’ Green Classic Rock (or Rockin’ Green Hard Rock if you have hard water) detergent for all your everyday laundering needs. Use Rockin’ Green Active Wear for your athletic fabrics and outdoor wear that are likely to be covered in dirt and pollen and need the extra attention.
- Make sure towels thoroughly dry between uses and keep them regularly laundered as well. Use Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer to fight mildew and other musty odors in your towels, bath mats, and any other laundry that smells like it needs it.
We love our pets but their dander is a prime source of allergies and they tend to carry dust and dirt with them throughout the house. In addition to keeping them bathed regularly, be sure to keep their bedding thoroughly washed at least weekly. Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer is a great pre-treatment for your pet’s laundry.
Why Rockin’ Green?
Rockin’ Green products are great for allergy free cleaning. They are free of chemicals that trigger allergies like: APEs/NPEs, parabens, phthalates, SLS/SLES, optical brighteners, 1,4 dioxane, naphthas, phenols, sodium hypochlorite, EDTA, phosphates, and artificial fragrances. The last thing you want to do when cleaning up allergens like pollen and dander is introduce new ones into your home. You don’t have to take our word for it. Hear what some of our fans have said about Rockin’ Green products:
“Other laundry detergents drive my allergies wild, but this one is perfect with no scent! I had stains on white material, so I soaked and washed it in another detergent, but it didn’t come out. So I soaked it in this detergent and then washed it, and the stains came out!” - Sally M.
“This laundry powder works great without leaving soap residue on your clothing. If you have allergies try this one! It's unscented!” - Layo
“Gentle, yet effective on clothing and nasty diapers alike. My water is super hard, and the Hard Rock formula works great. An added bonus - the scents are scrumptious, and do not trigger my allergies or asthma!” - Emily M.
Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer
“I'm not a super green or crunchy person. I started using this because my son was having a lot of accidents (poop) and I was tired of all his underwear smelling awful. It worked so well. Things that I thought were ruined because I had soaked in my traditional cleaner and they still smelled we magically smell free. The great part about it is that they didn't smell at all anymore- meaning this product works at removing smell but it also doesn't have a tremendous smell by itself. I am allergic to many scents and this doesn't bother me at all. I no longer need this product for poopy underwear but I use it on funky smelling towels or other gross items! Works like a charm!” -Melzy15
“Loooove this detergent! I'm chemically sensitive and very sensitive to scents. So I wanted to try this, but then I found this "active" one which I switched to because although I don't workout, unfortunately I sweat a lot. I'm ill and go through many cold sweats and often I had to rewash my clothes. Not anymore!!!!The other thing I love is how nice my clothes feel after a strip soak wash. Being highly sensitive to everything I noticed a difference right away. I'm on disability but this is one item I will always spend on from now on!” - TiffyRose
“My boyfriend is a Spartan Racer. I needed something that could handle his thoroughly disgustingly dirt, sweat, and whatever else caked clothes and shoes. Well, this stuff is magical. Not only can it power through his filth, but it handles my scrubs. I am a vet tech, and I'm running non stop during the day. I also have sensitive skin, and it doesn't bother me in any way. If there were 10 stars, I'd rate this 10 stars.” - Moira K.
Now is a great time to enjoy the outdoors and all the things you love to do there. Let Rockin’ Green help you stay allergy free while you do it!