When it comes to making the right choices for your and your family’s well being, it can be hard to keep up with what’s good, what’s bad, what’s safe or what may put you at risk. It’s truly exhausting trying to avoid this ingredient and make sure it’s Non-GMO, but also gluten free and safe for babies. We think Rockin’ Green checks off all those boxes, and then some. And it’s not everyday you’ll be flipping through a magazine or scrolling through your Facebook only to come across an article detailing how certain laundry detergents can be dangerous to use in your home — especially ones that then explain what to look for in safe alternatives. So if you’re reading this, I hope to make your life as a consumer just the slightest bit easier.
Breaking it down: Rockin’ Green VS. the other guys
Fact — not all laundry detergents are created equally. In fact some of the most popular brands you find in supermarkets and grocery stores, the same ones you’ve probably been using your entire life, are often laden with harmful chemicals like:
- Sodium lauryl sulfate
- Nonylphenol ethoxylate
- Synthetic fragrances
- Anionic surfactants
- Petroleum distillates
- Optical brighteners
- Sodium hypochlorite bleach
And yet, consumers still buy these brands of laundry detergents simply due to a lack of awareness. Although these brands don’t jump off the shelf with hazard labels and “toxic” warnings, they still pose serious threats to consumers and their families.
Where do we start? Synthetic fragrance in and of itself can be a harsh chemical when it comes in contact with skin, let alone skin that is super sensitive. It can create irritation and contact dermatitis. A study conducted in 2011 even found that air vented into homes from dryers contained dangerous chemicals, two of which were classified as carcinogens. They tested all sorts of scented household products and found that many contained VOCs, volatile organic compounds, some of which were toxic and hazardous under federal law.
This study also found that “Five of the six products emitted one or more carcinogenic ‘hazardous air pollutants,’ which are considered by the Environmental Protection Agency to have no safe exposure level,” according to Anne Steinemann, the study author.
While none of this information is comforting, which ingredients pose the most risk?
- SLS/SLES Sodium lauryl sulfate / sodium laureth sulfate
- Sulfates are synthetic ingredients responsible for sudsy lather and deep cleaning. SLS/SLES is a risk because in order for it to be manufactured, it has to be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, a known carcinogen. SLS/SLES is toxic and can irritate skin and eyes, cause organ toxicity, neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity and possibly cancer.
- 1,4-dioxane is a by-product of SLS/SLES, and isn’t actually added to cleaning products like laundry detergent intentionally. Because it is a byproduct, and isn’t actually added to product formulas, it doesn’t have to be listed on the label, which is alarming to consumers who want to know exactly what’s in their household products. The chemical is rapidly absorbed by the lungs, skin and gastrointestinal tract by mammals and even the lowest exposure to dioxane has caused lab animals to develop cancer. Not only that, but dioxane is also a major groundwater contaminant, making harmful for the environment.
- NPE (nonylphenol ethoxylate)
- NPE is an inexpensive surfactant, similar to SLS/SLES, added to laundry detergents. It’s a proven endocrine disruptor; studies have shown that when absorbed, the body can’t tell the difference between it and estrogen. There are certainly safer alternatives that manufacturers can use. Avoid NPEs — check for them listed on the labeling, or look for indication that says they are not included in the formula.
- Phosphates are found in many detergents and household cleaners. They break down dirt particles and allow suds to form. The residues found on items cleaned with products containing phosphates have resulted in skin irritations, diarrhea and nausea. One of the main problems involved with phosphates is how dangerous they are once they end up in streams and rivers. They’re difficult to remove and increase algae growth, essentially choking off waterways and other aquatic life, starving them of oxygen. Then, when the overabundance of algae dies off, it releases toxins that further deplete the waterways of oxygen.
These are not only hazardous to one’s health, but they’re extremely harmful to the environment, as well. When you choose a better, eco-friendly laundry detergent like Rockin’ Green, you can be confident you’re choosing a safer option for you and the planet, without compromising a true clean.
Why is Rockin’ Green the best option when choosing laundry detergent?
- Rockin’ Green detergents are plant-based and made with ingredients that are naturally produced and grown from the earth.
- Powder detergent means our formulas aren’t mostly water like liquid detergents. They only contain natural ingredients to clean your laundry — no fillers or unnecessary components.
- With only natural ingredients and none of the toxins mentioned earlier, Rockin’ Green detergents are entirely grey-water safe and safe for the environment. Because that’s important to us.
Safe for sensitive skin
- You don’t have to worry about you or your family coming into contact with harmful chemicals when you choose Rockin’ Green. The natural ingredients are safe and ideal for babies and those with sensitive skin, in general.
- Our detergents contain no SLS/SLES, obviously. SLS/SLES is actually used as a skin irritant in studies where skin needs to first be irritated to conduct an experiment. We stay far, far away from sulfates meaning no dioxane byproduct, either!
Contains NO phosphates
- Just another way we do our part in taking care of the environment, our formulas contain no phosphates. Whatever leftover Rockin’ Green ends up in the drain is safe and biodegradable.
Contains NO optical brighteners
- Optical brighteners are illusions, or chemicals, rather, that are deposited into your clothes to make them whiter and brighter. You can even see them under black lights. We don’t use them — we don’t need to. Our detergents clean laundry properly without them.
Contains no artificial fragrance
- Our everyday detergents are naturally scented, but rinse clean in the wash. Our Platinum Series Detergent is naturally scented with tea tree oil. No matter which detergent you choose, you’ll never be cleaning with artificial fragrance that can irritate skin.
If you want to know that you’re buying and using truly safe laundry detergent, look for labels that say:
Natural fragrance or fragrance-free
Oh, hey! That sounds like Rockin’ Green!